Friday, July 27, 2012

Yarn Bombing

There is a new phenomenon that seems to be circulating throughout the knitting and crocheting world.  Some examples are incredibly creative and just plain fun.  It seems as though, trees, vehicles (both two wheel and four wheel kinds), chairs and even a few porta-potties.  I absolutely love the results of  these acts of "civil disobedience" which lend a whimsical touch to our surroundings.

This bicycle just makes me smile.  Could you imagine riding down the street on this work of art?

I've seen many a Volkswagen, motorcycle and even an army tank or two decorated with knitting and crocheting.  What fun!










Here are the ultimate yarn bombed Porta-Potties.  I must admit that these make me laugh out loud.  Who would think to do this?  So much more interesting than the usual plastic pod.

Okay, on the more serious side, here are some artistic installations that delight my eyes.  Hope you enjoy.  Here is the link for more information:  http://greenme.it/abitare/arredo-urbano/8104-parco-giochi-bambini-fatto-maglia


This is a major art installation that certainly dominates the environment with an amazing modern presence.  http://www.tsai-yoshikawa.com/collaboration/portfolio
This installation has a certain subtlety to it that is so lovely.  Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama always uses polka dots - she saw the world covered with polka dots when she was a child . She has a retrospective at The Whitney Museum until Sept 2012 but before that she made these trees . Work big and use red !
Singapore Biennale 2006.   http://www.styleintel.com/2012/07/yayoi-kusama-invades-new-york-for-louis-vuitton-collab-and-whitney-museum-exhibit/

Periodically, I am going to be sharing some of the wonderful things I find on line and hope that you all enjoy them as much as I do.  Now, I am off to my dye pots and to do some needle felted flowers, etc to put in a new series of yarns.

No comments: