Monday, March 22, 2010

New Art Flyer and Bobbin from SpinOlution






Today, there was a knock on my door and there stood Michael Pauly of SpinOlution with the new ginormous flyer assembly and bobbin in hand. I invited him in with great excitement and watched with itchy fingers as he attached this new device to my Mach II spinning wheel. Holy Mackrel! That is one big bobbin! Measurements: Flyer assembly is 12 inches long and 8 1/2 inches wide; bobbin is 6 inches in diameter and 9 inches long. The gorgeous wooden pegs are 1 3/4 inches tall.

After attaching a leader, I pulled out some roving and started to spin on the lowest ratio (about 3:1) in a thick and thin fashion. What I noticed right away was that this is exceptionally well balanced and spins easily. In the photos attached, you will notice the yarn on the bobbin which weighs about one pound. I still have lots of room. Will fill the bobbin just to see how much it will hold and then do some serious art yarn spinning. Mike said I can have this for testing for the next couple of days and then I have to return it. I intend to make the most of the available time.

This is a really cool new addition for maximizing the potential of the Mach II and the Hopper wheels in terms of art yarn spinning in particular. Just fabulous!

4 comments:

primdollie said...

yikes holy moly that is huge!! will have to see how much they will cost but sounds like you liked the dynamics of it which is great news!! will keep an eye out for when they will be released and all!! too fun!
hugs Linda

Janice Rosema said...

Linda,
This spins so well. Mike really outdid himself with this item! I can't wait to try it on the Hopper as soon as I fill this bobbin. They can be pre-ordered now and will ship out in two to three weeks. I can just see you making fabulous art yarn with this accessory for your Mach II.

Bishop Stone said...

holley molley. That is a flyer and a half . I have never seen one that big before.

helen said...

I am very excited about buying one of these, still waiting on a UK price but once I have that it will be all systems go for purchasing my mach 2 and OSNAYF and OS Bobbins :) Thank you for the comparison photographs, especially the close up of the orifice hook very helpful indeed :) Helen