Wednesday, February 17, 2010

On the way to Lillehammer!




Inspired by Lexi Boeger (of Pluckyfluff fame) I decided to participate in the Handspun Revolution exhibit at Galleri Zink in Lillehammer, Norway. These yarns are on their way to be included in the show May 7-18, 2010.

As a little girl, I used to listen to my grandfather's stories about his boyhood in the Indian Territory (which is now the state of Oklahoma.) He spoke of carding wool for his mother to spin for making clothing for the family. He also entertained me with stories of joining the cavalry as a teenager and then working for the railroad in the last vestiges of the pioneer West. His accounts always fascinated me and one of the dearest sounds in the world to me was the sound his dentures clicking as he spoke and his laughter as he delighted himself and me with humorous renditions of his adventures.

Years later, when my own son was small, spinning became a part of my life and it brought tears to my grandfather's eyes watching my son card wool for me as I made yarn just as he had done as a boy. Since I was the only one of my generation in our family who enjoyed spinning, quilting and weaving, he and I shared a special bond as well as the fact that I always laughed at his jokes no matter how many times he had told them.

Later on, I actually made a living as a spinner and these days I find myself exploring more of the contemporary art yarns and am enjoying it immensely. Even though I stay fairly close to home these days, my yarn will be enjoying an adventure in Norway in the company of lots of other fibery goodness!

2 comments:

fiberfreek said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Made me remember my own grandfather helping my little sister with her knitting! Stories of the men on my dad's side knitting for the family while they made....errrr....were LOGGING!!!
Congratulations on your yarn going to Norway! Cathrine will love that story!! I am as always very proud of you! And inspired! Much love,Jamie

Kyle Kunnecke said...

fantastic - what a fun story :) - I wish I could take that yarn personally to Norway... that's a place I'd love to visit someday...