Friday, February 26, 2010

February Fiber Frolic





On Saturday, we joined a bunch of other fiber lovers for a day of spinning, dyeing, embroidery, weaving and rug punching. It was great to see some old friends and make some new ones. The Coffee Bar of Splendor was reason enough to join the party - great coffee! Lunch and snacks were provided as participants became peckish. We needed our strength for all the activities available. There were great fibers, yarns, spinning wheels and other goodies available for purchase at this event.

Even my husband Louie got into the action! He spent most of the day working with Bjo Trimble of Griffin Dyeworks at the dyepots. This is the first time he has tried natural dyeing and he just jumped in with both feet. I have included a photo of him with his glorious hand-dyed skeins. He used indigo, cocchineal, mustard (I can't remember what the yellow was). The colors he created were wonderful and he is really proud of his achievement! In fact, he has been fondling skeins at home and talking about how great the colors turned out. I haven't seen him this excited about something that wasn't on four wheels in a long time! Who knows, maybe I will get him spinning soon. I can dream, right!?

My friend Jamie joined us for the day and we had such fun just hanging out and spinning and talking, with lots of laughter thrown in for good measure. As you can see, he documents everything with photos (caught in the act).

On Tuesday, my Louet Classic drum carder arrived and since then I have been carding lots of art batts for my etsy shop (www.excavations.etsy.com). Will be spinning up some new art yarns too.

This Sunday, I will be at LisCat in Long Beach with SpinOlution wheels for trying out. Come join us if you are in the area!

No comments: