Saturday, August 8, 2009

Tip toe through the tulips!


Yesterday was a glorious day! My husband and I got up at 5:30 in morning and proceeded to go out together for breakfast at our favorite little local restaurant (Gramma's Kitchen in Banning) where the food is good, the waitresses and customers are so friendly that it does feel like you are hanging out in Gramma's Kitchen! After that, we took a drive through the local mountains where it was cool and the views wonderful. Then we headed to Temecula past one of the many Dutch dairies in the area, this one is kind of special as they make Gouda cheese, winning many ribbons and even being featured on the Martha Stewart show. Woo-woo! Since Louie's mom is Dutch, we always pick up some lovely cheese for her to enjoy.

We ended up at Trader Joe's for olive oil, rosemary plant, French roast coffee beans, fresh garlic/cheese bread and TULIPS! I love this place as they have truly delightful things lurking in every aisle. The wine alone is worth the trip.

We made the full circle returning home with eco-friendly bags filled with all this bounty. The tulips ended up keeping company with Joan of Arc (a wonderful garage sale treasure) and the iris painting by my friend George Keahey. Seeing flowers in the study always lifts my spirits. The rosemary ended up with all the herbs on the patio and smells wonderful.

The rest of the day was spent washing fleece (Soay, Icelandic and a lanolin-rich Corriedale) and spreading them out to dry. Also, I was lucky enough to be able to have the new spinning wheel shown below for the weekend! I am so excited and have been spinning like a mad woman (I have to return this prototype wheel on Sunday.) Can't wait to have my very own.

I did stop to make dinner: roasted chicken rubbed with olive oil, garlic, rosemary and roasted vegetables as well as home grown tomato salad. It smelled divine and tasted even better. Yum! looking forward to a great weekend!

No comments: