Sunday, November 2, 2008

My week in fiber and politics




A few weeks ago, I donated a SpinOlution Mach1 spinning wheel to the Knitters for Obama campaign fundraiser on Ravelry. A lot of other people donated prizes too and the drawing took place on November 1st and a brand new spinner in North Carolina won the wheel. Needless to say, she is very excited! Even more importantly, as a group, we were able to contribute over $42,000 to the Obama campaign. On Tuesday, the election takes place and we will have a new President of the United States. It is my fervent desire that it will be Barack Obama as I have not felt so much hope and inspiration about a candidate since John F. Kennedy ran for the office all those years ago. I believe with all my heart that he will be a great leader and one who will look to the future with intelligence, compassion and wisdom both for our own country and in our interactions with the world at large and the environment of our planet.

Now, concerning knitterly things, I have made a lot of progress on the modular jacket. It is coming along very nicely and certainly is a quick knit so far. Even though it looks quite complex, it is actually very easy. This is another pattern from Patricia Werner's Dazzling Knits book and is called the mola jacket. I have been fascinated with the optical illusion of this jacket and wanted to learn this technique so that I can take off in some new directions in designs of my own. I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn modular knits as the author's instructions are very clear. Hopefully, by next week, I will have this project done and blocked.

At this point, I have been making new sketches for designs for Ozark Handspun combining the new Companion yarns with the Ozark Opulent and have some really interesting things in the works which will be ready for viewing soon. Additionally, a new opportunity has presented itself to me regarding selling my handspun yarns, carded art batts, hand-dyed rovings and finished garments as well as spinning wheels. As this is in the early stages, I don't have any pictures of how it will all look but stay turned. I am really excited about this!

No comments: