Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A day of incredible highs and lows!

Barack Obama is our new president-elect based on the content of his character and not the color of his skin. The message of Martin Luther King Jr's speech so long ago has come to pass. This is a day filled with rejoicing and the promise of hope and promise. May he lead us well and may God protect him and his family and God bless our country!

On another note, here in California, voters said yes to proposition 8. This affects a lot of people I care deeply about, including my own son. No heterosexual marriage will be "restored" and no "religious rights will be protected" by the passage of this proposition. It just sends us backwards into a time of ignorance. When I married a Nigerian man (my son's father) back in the late 60s, it was illegal for us to be married in at least four states in this country into the 1970s. The miscegenation laws in place then were based on the same kind of fear and ignorance present concerning this issue.

Since so many supporters profess to be Christians, I submit if they believe that God made us in His image it means ALL of us. To me, that means there is a purpose for ALL of us, as God doesn't make mistakes. Voltaire (I am paraphrasing here) said that God created man in His image and man returned the favor. Knowing how petty and cruel human beings can be, in my opinion God must be pure love because if He was in the image of man, He would have given up on us a long time ago. So, today was a giant step forward for our country in one respect, but a giant step back in this matter concerning civil rights.

Also, today my cat Harley died. My heart is broken as he has been my sweet and loving companion for 17 years even when it seemed like no one else cared. He was always there to comfort me when I was sick and make me laugh when I was sad. I will miss him walking on me all night long and snuggling up on a cold winter's night and even on a 105 degree day. Every morning, he would awaken me with a paw on my cheek and a morning meow. Life will be very empty without him. He is being buried on a friend's farm near the sheep pasture so hopefully he will be chasing lots of field mice in his next life.

7 comments:

unraveledgal said...

Janice, we share many things in common, it appears.

My beloved cat passed away recently, too. I am very sorry for your loss of your sweet, fuzzy companion.

Harpa J said...

I´m sorry - and congratulations. It feels weird to say those things at once - but then again so is life often enough.

Yarnartist said...

Janice, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. I know how much you will miss him - there is nothing to compare to the love we share with our dear little pets. I send you love and prayers.

Kyle Kunnecke said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss - I wish there was something we could do to help but I know that the only thing that would make the pain go away is to have your baby back... for even one more hug - my sympathies!

on another note, if you go to my blog, there's a petition to sign and letters to write - we can't be sad about the possibility of prop 8 passing - (it hasn't passed technically YET!) - there are millions of uncounted absentee and proxy votes... so there's still a chance...

In the end, eventually, I know that same sex couples will be granted equal rights. The fight will be long and costly and the only thing sadder than the loss of time as married couples is the waste of money and effort that could be focused on so many more impactful issues...

Thank you, though - for being the wonderful caring person you are and for backing the opposition of prop 8!

Lisa said...

Janice, I am so sorry about Harley. We had our hearts broken in the same way earlier this year. I can say that you will always miss him, but the pain will lessen. I'm sending you a hug...

Anonymous said...

Janice, I was so sorry to hear of Harley's passing. I'm sorry that I never got to meet him. He sounds like he was a wonderful companion and I know you were to him, too. What a lucky cat! Here's a big hug from me!

Kim

Karen said...

You have a choice of following your "human ego" or being in touch with the "Divine". Yes, "God" made all humans, but all humans' are not in touch with the "Divine". Case in point: just look at the news (world) ...