Sunday, June 8, 2008

I've been memed!

My lovely friend Kyle has memed me and since he asked me to play nice, I am going to give this a whirl! Here goes:

What was I doing ten years ago?
At that time, I had a very busy millinery business, creating and selling hats for women and girls in the US and overseas to high-end stores and boutiques. I also did quite a few arts and crafts shows selling my hats, flowers and other creations.

Five Snacks:
Plain yogurt with fresh fruit
Almonds
Popcorn
Salsa and guacamole with cottage cheese
Pad Thai (yes, I know it isn't a snack but I do love it!)

Five things on the to-do list today:
1. Not to make a to-do list (my mother was an endless list maker and I always hated it as a child - call it rebellion)
2. Make it through the day without losing my sanity.
3. Try to accomplish something, some days it is a lot and sometimes not.
4. Be kind to those I encounter.
5. Be grateful for every day of life granted.

Things I would do if I was a billionaire:
1. Help as many people as I could in meaningful ways so they can sustain themselves.
2. Travel.
3. Live in peace and serenity.
4. Move to the redwoods and live in a small craftsman home with a studio attached that I could play with fiber to my heart's content.
5. Learn.

Five jobs I've had:
1. ICU-CCU nurse.
2. Handspinner (supported a family of five about 30 years ago)
3. Medical transcriptionist.
4. Milliner.
5. Knitting, crochet designer and teacher.

Five bad Habits:
1. Not suffering fools gladly sometimes.
2. Perfectionist.
3. Not always trusting my instincts.
4. Not taking care of myself as well as I should.
5. Living in the past sometimes which a 97-year-old friend tells me has no future!

Five Places I have lived:
1. In the redwoods in Santa Cruz Mountains of California.
2. Falls Church, VA
3. Pasadena, California
4. Colorado Springs, Colorado
5. Sierra Madre, California

Five People I want to get to know better:
1. My son.
2. Kyle.
3. Larry (knitdad)
4. Lisa (pass the coffee)
5. those I haven't met yet.

Five Random Things:
1. I get totally absorbed in what I am working on and everything else doesn't exist.
2. Inside of this broken-down exterior, I am dancing as fast as I can!
3. No one knows how much I miss my son and long to have him back in my life.
4. A lot of times others judge me by what they see on the surface and don't realize what my life experiences have been or who I really am.
5. There is a very old anonymous Irish poem which I really identify with:
'Upon an airy upland, within me and far away,
A child that is ageless dances, all delicately gay,
A dance that is like sunshine, while I am old and grey."

Yikes, Kyle, you have made me ponder things I haven't thought about in a good little bit.

3 comments:

Mandie said...

Thanks for sharing Janice, you have a beautiful spirit xoxo

Kyle Kunnecke said...

I for one can see you dancing, Janice - you're one of the most amazing and creative people I have encountered on this journey - thank you for playing along and sharing :)

hugs!!

linda said...

OK I don't know you but I love you. You what so many of the things I do, to live in the Rdewoods to live in a Craftman home with attached studio travel peace you are a friend without us ever meeting. I'm going to check into you blogs more often. Thank Kyle for the memed. I write poetry and several about dancing and aging. Thanks for sharing you are a grand spirit. Linda Ravelry 2knitorknot