Friday, April 11, 2008

Limping along slowly


Just a little update, I am slowly on the mend and have been able to get around the house in the last few days with my walking stick instead of having to use the wheelchair. My husband has a new game called "spot the bruises" and it is amazing how many and where he has found them on my poor aching body. My bruises range in color from deep purples and dark putties to varying shades of lavender, greens (my particular favorite) and yellows. I am really quite colorful. My brain is still a bit addled and all I want to do is sleep. Some knitting has been attempted and so far, so good. Crocheting still hurts too much. Harley (my cat) and I have been spending a lot of "quality" time together as he is watching me very carefully. As for the bathtub, I feel ambivalent about it, much as I did when the movie "Jaws" came out and am a bit leary still. There is a new nonslip mat, new grab bar, seat and a new policy of NO BATHS WHEN HOME ALONE.

As for other news, apparently, the fiber-wrapped accessories article in Belle Armoire had a very favorable reception by the readers. Subsequently, I was contacted by the editor of Belle Armoire Jewelry and have been asked to do some fiber-wrapped bracelets for the Autumn issue. I am pleased with how these have turned out and plan on more experimentation in this area of creativity.

This week brought some other news too. I had submitted some pieces for possible inclusion in the Led by Thread exhibit at the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, Virginia. Unfortunately, I was not chosen as they decided on a more "conceptual" approach to thread. It should be interesting to see what that means in terms of the exhibit. Oh well, you win some and you lose some but trying is what actually counts in the long run.

Attached is a close-up photo of a piece of modular knitting which had been on display at a local yarn shop as a sample for an upcoming class. Sadly, someone stole this piece out of the store. It is always unpleasant when this kind of thing happens but a piece of unfinished work? Just odd to my way of thinking. Not only was it Koigu but on size 3 needles. As fellow knitters, I know you will understand my dismay. The poor shop owner was so upset but I don't blame them at all as if someone wants to take something they will do it no matter what! So, if you see it out there, tell it hello for me and whoever took it can return it with no questions asked. So there we go, the good, the bad and the ugly for the week. Happy knitting and crocheting!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I cannot believe that someone took the Koigu square! Unbelievable. I am so sorry...and no, even though I joked about attaching it to my piece, I'm in the clear. I hope that all your bruises are healing and that you feel better soon.

Janice Rosema said...

Glad to hear you didn't attach the piece to your jacket. I still feel guilty about making off with one of your skeins of Koigu but after all we are using the same colors. Except for your sharp little eyes, I might have gotten away! LOL. Oh well, maybe the one with the sticky fingers will have a change of heart and return it to the shop. It is good to have dreams. This has been a rough couple of weeks.

qusic said...

seems you have very decisive fan,it is weird either.I hope you get well soon and you are on the mend already.modular knitting is what I want to do more intensely but first I have to meet a deadline for a quilt show, my first entry and accepted. You are right, the attempt counts and I had to kiss a lot of frogs in the last weeks too:)

primdollie said...

Oh am happy that you are slowly on the mend and can't thank you enough for all your help with my new baby Pirtle!! I am totally shocked and saddened that someone would steal your work!! I do hope it gets returned sorry that happened people surely have very little regard for others property do they!! do get better and yes no more baths when no one home and happy to hear you have all the good things to help prevent that again!! take care am back to drooling over your blog and also see I may have to get the Belle Amoire issue you mention!! big hugs Linda

Kyle Kunnecke said...

glad you're getting better - annoyed that someone took your stuff - that's aweful - but I guess in some strange way it's almost flattering... your stuff is beautiful and coveted - what I find sad about when someone steals is this: if they REALLY wanted it, and they asked you, (knowing you) you'd probably just give it to them - I feel that way about my knitting - it's all about sharing our talents and ourselves with others.. but feeling somewhat violated because someone stole something is completely valid - I hope you'll be up and at 'em crocheting and creating very soon... give yourself time to heal :)

hugs