Sunday, April 6, 2008

Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!

Well, my plans for Saturday got turned upside down and backwards. My husband had irritated me the day before and I felt that I needed some "space" and thus he left before me planning to be gone all day. In the meantime, I decided to take a bath before I went out anywhere. Everything went well until it was time to get out of the tub. Even though I was holding onto the bar, I slipped and fell backwards into the tub, knocking myself out and injuring my whole right side. You can imagine how graceful it all was with ancient body parts flying in all directions. When I came to, I tried getting up but couldn't because of the pain and the fact that I couldn't get any traction.

To keep the story short, I spent the whole day trapped in the tub and struggling with innovative ideas on how to get out. I went through all the stages - "why me?" as well as "please God I'll do anything if you get me out of here" and finally resignation to my fate. I did manage to grab my nightgown and put it on myself. I had visions of being found naked and dead in the tub, you know, and trust me it would not have been pretty! At any rate, I was never so happy to see my husband come home in our entire marriage, any feelings of irritation with him vanished when he helped me out of the tub. He managed to help me hobble to the bed and cover myself up and whimper in pain. It was truly pathetic.

Here is what I have learned: No baths when home alone, always put non-skid decals in the bottom of the tub, bring the phone into the bathroom and for goodness sake have something to cover the aging body. As I looked at myself laying there, I looked like an Origami-style sculpture against the tub and it was no graceful swan either!

This morning, I am bruised and sore and, worst of all, having trouble knitting! Oh my God! So, I intend to lay in bed, nurse my wounds and nap all day. The cat is being very lovey and cuddly now but when I was in the tub all he did was stand at the bathroom door and meow loudly (no comfort from him - he just chewed me out for disturbing his routine!)

9 comments:

Yarnartist said...

Janice,
Although you use humor and self-deprecation to tell the story, it must have been a scary and painful day for you. I am so sorry to hear of your predicament, but the worst part of the story is a whole day in bed and not being able to knit. Feel better soon!
elle

Fay Lynn said...

I am so sorry to hear about such a such a horrible, terrible, very bad day. Hope the knitting comes back soon!
Feel better

Anonymous said...

How awful. We missed you today and hope that you are healing and get well soon.
Theresa

Kyle Kunnecke said...

My sweet friend! I am so sorry to hear this news - you're one of my fiber angels - I hope you'll call your doctor to just make sure you're not hurt and just toughing it out until you heal - take it slow and allow time to get better -
my heart shrieked when I read your post - the idea of you being stuck in the tub for so long makes me sad - I'm glad you don't live alone - it's a scary thing - give the old man a hug and thank him for me - having each other in good times and in bad is quite valuable - most often those values are taken for granted until we need them!

hugs

Kyle

unraveledgal said...

What a scary thing to have happen, Janice! Your are right to take note of some things to change...like the phone nearby and tub decals..and NOT taking a bath when no one is home!!! I hope that your injuries will heal quickly and you will be back to your normal routine-for the cat and yourself. I hope to see you in the near future as I am home for a few days (until this Friday) and then gone to sock camp. Hugs & more hugs

Larry said...

Oh my! Sorry to hear about your mishap and that you had to wait such a long time for rescue. I think I'm going to have to consider some of the same precautions for myself. And teach the cat how to call 911. Please keep us posted on how you're doing. And tell Louie not to pay any attention to you when you send him away for a whole day.

Kathy said...

I am so sorry to hear what happened to you ... what an absolutely horrendous situation! Hope you are starting to feel better ... next time take a shower and go buy some yarn. That's what I do when the husband is annoying - buy yarn.

Soozie said...

Janice........what a bummer! Would you believe I fell over in the tub on Tuesday morning........but managed to grab the rail as I went down so only have a very tiny sore spot on top of my head. But I also had vision of a not so good look if I hadn't grabbed it. Hope you are feeling better.......if not so battle scarred!

HollyEQQ said...

WOW - I was just reading your blog for the first time and stumbled upon this ... how horrid. I fell about the same time, must have been in the moons. I stepped in a bucket and went flying into a piece of furniture face first. Unlike you, I documented it and even took pictures! How sick am I? http://hollyeqq.livejournal.com/107697.html

I know you must have been terrified. I was, and I was able to get up once I came to. Eventually. I can only imagine your fear. My heart goes out to you.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you how amazingly talented I think you are! I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful things.
Holly