Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Socks that Croc!



On doing an inventory of my own socks, I've discovered that there are 15 pairs to chose from on any given day. Not to mention, socks in progress. You know what they say, once you go handmade socks, you never go back! Boy is that a true statement! I absolutely love the feel and look of handknit socks. I even knitted the husband a pair, which he promptly proceeded to lose one. Needless to say, he was banished from the knitting queue! About four months later, he found his other sock and all was forgiven but I still hesitate to knit him another pair. He has to regain my trust! I mean you really have to love someone to make them a pair of socks (estimated 33,000 stitches in average pair) and they WEAR OUT! Say it isn't so.

Usually I wear Crocs or some other kind of handmade sock friendly shoe and love to see them peeking out under my jeans. I feel so decadently wonderful and luxurious. I made my darling mother-in-law pink silk socks in a lace pattern and they made her giggle. It was so cute. As a girl in Holland during WWII she had to make socks and hated it as they were always boring colors and very plain. So these are something new for her.

In the near future, I might be adventurous enough to take a photo of my sock yarn stash. Boy, I see a moment of truth in the making!

4 comments:

Lucy said...

A lovely colourful blog - Congratulation and welcome to blogworld!

ChelleC said...

Hey, Janice, you are SO RIGHT about socks! They are such a treat. Whenever I want to be really self-indulgent, I wear a pair of hand-knit socks. They aren't necessarily fast however. Mine seem to take forever, and I really have to LOVE someone before I make them anything, especially socks. I'm selfish when it comes to knitting because I don't knit especially fast and unless someone really appreciates the effort, I'm not gifting out my limited knitting time or precious yarn.

But I bet your husband really loves his socks and would like another pair?

Larry said...

I have my sock yarn stashed in several different places so I don't know how much I actually have. But I don't think I'll run out any time soon. I've yet to make any for myself though. Maybe that Kaffe Fassett Regia I got a couple of months ago will be my first. Or last.

Larry said...

I have my sock yarn stashed in several different places so I don't know how much I actually have. But I don't think I'll run out any time soon. I've yet to make any for myself though. Maybe that Kaffe Fassett Regia I got a couple of months ago will be my first. Or last.